Monday, February 11, 2008

Disney, Disney, Disney! Part 1 Getting there...

Yes, we went to Disney, we survived Disney and we're back from Disney... Trust me, that sequence of event is A LOT!

First it was a mad frenzy trying to pack and get everyone ready. Oakley wasn't feeling well but I chalked it up to being depressed because we were leaving her, she doesn't like suitcases, they always depress her.. Mistake #1.

Then, we got up at 4AM to catch our 7AM flight to Orlando, FL. Of course, that morning we had a severe weather alert and let me tell you, the drive was not fun, sheer ice in some places but somehow we made it to Manchester on time and in one piece, we actually made it to the airport 1 hour prior to the flight..
For some reason, we didn't check our bags with the skycap outside like we always do, mistake #2.
We stood in line for 45 minutes, got our bags check with a warning that they probably wouldn't make the flight, and tags on all of them saying "late checked bag" NICE! Can you say understaffed? At that point, I was pissed and frustrated, lugging luggage, car seats, strollers and 2 kids through an airport is not fun, when the airline can't do what their suppose to do, I'm upset!
We got through security in not too much time (even had to take Alec's shoes off, come on!) and of course, we were getting paged on the intercom while we're trying to make it through security. We finally made it and they re about to close the door, for those of you who don't know, Southwest does NOT assign seats on their planes, first come first serve. Booking a flight on Southwest for 5 people including 2 kids? Mistake #3!
Of course, there are no seats left, actually the flight is overbooked and they have to ask for a volunteer to get out of the plane so they can sit all of us.. Long story short, ALec and I get seats together (I paid for a seat for him, I'm sure gonna get one..) and Will and Chris sit together, Ana gets a seat in the middle in front of Alec and I.. Oh joy!
The rest of the flight goes pretty well, Alec had to run down the aisle a few times but slept and charmed everyone around the rest of the time. I got many compliments on how great he was on the plane, must be the experience, he's a seasoned flyer at 18 months :-)

We got to the airport and carried all our stuff to the car rental place, got a minivan fairly painlessly (surprisingly), and made it to Disney World in one piece.. Needless to say, we were ALL in bed at 8PM, we had a big day waiting for us. Next installment - Magic Kingdom Disney Day #2!

Steph

No comments: